Originally Published: August 25, 2013
Updated: February 6, 2014
We have never seen the kind of anticipation for a sports team in Seattle that we currently have for the 2013 Seattle Seahawks. The only thing that comes close is the 1996 Seattle Mariners (following their miracle run in 1995) and to a lesser extent the ’96/’97 Seattle Supersonics (following their NBA Finals defeat to the Chicago Bulls in 1996).
There have been great teams before, but the kind of pre-season anticipation we’re experiencing now is unmatched. Yes, the 2005 Seahawks made it to the Super Bowl; but in the next off-season, we dicked around with Steve Hutchinson and our team was made worse for it. Sure, there was anticipation, but a combination of an easy 2005 schedule, easier 2005 division, and lame-ass front office tempered expectations for 2006. I sure didn’t think it was going to be as easy as it was in 2005, and lo and behold it wasn’t.
As a teenager, I did a fairly decent job of creating a sort-of scrap book of the Sonics as they made their run through the playoffs and into the Finals. I have since lost the majority of that scrap book because I am an idiot; the only piece I have that remains is a Sports Illustrated cover of Gary Payton right before the NBA Finals; it’s in my old bedroom at my dad’s house as we speak, and every time I look at it I experience great joy.
So, this year, I’m going to do something similar. Except this time, I’m getting in on the ground floor. I’ll be doing my usual documentation of the Seahawks’ season, but I’m also going to link to all the important posts in this spot (updated below this introduction you’re reading now) for one convenient source for all of my ramblings about this potentially magical season.
And, if things go off the rails, then I’ve got something I can always point to, to remind myself to never get my hopes up this high again.
For starters, no analysis of this season would be complete without a brief look back at the very end of the 2012 season in all its glory:
- The Seahawks Lose In Most Agonizing Fashion – January 13, 2013
- Seahawks Death Week: The Hangover Continues – January 14, 2013
- Seahawks Death Week: What Went Wrong? – January 15, 2013
- Seahawks Death Week: Improving For Next Season – January 16, 2013
- Seahawks Death Week: Why We Will Be Great Next Season – January 17, 2013
- Seahawks Death Week: An Appreciation Of The 2012 Seattle Seahawks – January 18, 2013
- The 20 Best Seahawks Of 2012 – February 5, 2013
Remember how many words were spilled about Percy Harvin when the Seahawks traded for him?
- I See No Way That This Can Backfire: Seahawks Trade For Percy Harvin – March 11, 2013
- Focusing On What Percy Harvin Is, Not What He Might Be – March 12, 2013
- Percy Harvin vs. Deion Branch: Which Trade Was Better? – March 13, 2013
The NFL released team schedules and we all freaked out because Football!
- The 2013 Seattle Seahawks Schedule Has Something For Everybody – April 19, 2013
The NFL Draft happened on April 25th – April 27th and is always a huge ordeal.
- The 2013 Seattle Seahawks Drafted 11 All Pros – May 2, 2013
Regardless of who is better, I think we can all agree that the Seahawks and 49ers are the two best teams in the NFC.
- Who Is The Better Football Team: Seahawks or 49ers? – May 8, 2013
Can’t be a Seattle sports fan without at least a FEW obnoxious neuroses.
- The 2013 Seahawks Season: Do You Feel Lucky? – May 18, 2013
A little roster-bation never hurt nobody.
- Projecting The 2013 Seattle Seahawks’ 53-Man Roster – May 22, 2013
Psyching myself up for a brilliant season.
- A Balanced Seahawks Team Is A Winning Seahawks Team – June 21, 2013
Then, Percy Harvin injured himself and another million-billion words were spilled.
BeginsContinues: Percy Harvin Has Injured His Hip – July 25, 2013
- Percy Harvin Is A Jaguar (The Car, Not The Cat) – July 26, 2013
Preview season starts early in Seahawksland.
- The 30 Most Important Seahawks In 2013 – July 29, 2013
The July 29, 2013 issue of Sports Illustrated featured our very own Richard Sherman.
The pre-season is always a good time, especially when you’re winning.
- Seahawks’ Backups Better Than Chargers’ Backups – August 9, 2013
- 2 Down, 21 To Go: Seahawks Crush Pre-Season Broncos – August 19, 2013
- 3 Down, 20 To Go: Sloppy Seahawks Slip Past Putrid Packers – August 23, 2013
- 4 Down, 19 To Go: Seahawks Finish Pre-Season Perfect, Because They’re Perfect – September 1, 2013
The September 2, 2013 issue of ESPN The Magazine featured our very own Russell Wilson.
The September 2, 2013 issue of Sports Illustrated also featured our very own Russell Wilson (along with Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Colin Kaepernick in alternate covers).
I’m a total sucker for preview articles.
- Predicting The 2013 NFL Season – September 5, 2013
- Previewing & Predicting The 2013 Seattle Seahawks – September 6, 2013
Week 1 saw the Seahawks cling for dear life in Carolina, winning 12-7.
- 5 Down, 18 To Go: It’s Not How You Start, It’s How You Finish – September 9, 2013
- Seattle Sports Hell 2013 NFL Power Rankings – Week 1 – September 20, 2013
Week 2 saw the ultimate showdown of the regular season. San Francisco came to town for a Sunday Night game on national television. They would leave having lost 29-3.
- Be On The Lookout: Seattle City Cops To Dress As 49ers Fans At Seahawks Game – September 12, 2013
- It’s The Final Countdown: San Francisco Plays Seattle On Sunday Night – September 13, 2013
- 6 Down, 17 To Go: The 49ers Are A Bunch Of Dildos – September 16, 2013
- Seattle Sports Hell 2013 NFL Power Rankings – Week 2 – September 17, 2013
Week 3 saw the Seahawks walk all over the Jaguars, 45-17.
- Seattle Seahawks To Host, Crush Jacksonville Jaguars – September 18, 2013
- 7 Down, 16 To Go: The Jaguars Have Too Many Urkels (That’s Why Their Wins-low) – September 23, 2013
- Seattle Sports Hell 2013 NFL Power Rankings – Week 3 – September 24, 2013
Week 4 saw the Seahawks struggle in the first half, dominate in the second half, and do just enough in overtime to beat the Texans in Houston, 23-20.
- Seahawks Face Toughest Test To Date In Houston – September 27, 2013
- 8 Down, 15 To Go: Injury-Plagued Seahawks Steal A Win In Houston – September 30, 2013
- Seattle Sports Hell 2013 NFL Power Rankings – Week 4 – October 1, 2013
- You Can’t Keep A Good Team Down, Even On The Road – October 2, 2013
Week 5 saw the Seahawks lose their bid for 23-0 against a good, playoff-bound Indianapolis team, thanks to a blown lead in the fourth quarter, 34-28.
- Seahawks Try To Stay Perfect In Indy – October 3, 2013
- How In God’s Name Did The Seahawks Lose To The Colts? – October 7, 2013
- Seattle Sports Hell 2013 NFL Power Rankings – Week 5 – October 8, 2013
- Is There A Wide Receiver Problem With The Seahawks? – October 9, 2013
Week 6 saw the Seahawks return home and easily handle the Tennessee Titans, 20-13.
- The Seahawks Took Care Of Business Against The Titans – October 14, 2013
- Seattle Sports Hell 2013 NFL Power Rankings – Week 6 – October 15, 2013
- Enjoy The Legion Of Boom While You Can – October 16, 2013
Week 7 saw the Seahawks go down to Arizona for Thursday Night Football, winning in dominating fashion, 34-22.
- The Seahawks & Cardinals Are Punished With This Week’s Idiotic Thursday Night Game – October 17, 2013
- Seahawks Make Cardinals Their Bitch – October 18, 2013
- Seattle Sports Hell 2013 NFL Power Rankings – Week 7 – October 22, 2013
Week 8 saw the Seahawks go back on the road (4 games in 5 weeks) to play the Rams on Monday Night Football, winning a scary one at the end thanks to a defensive goalline stand, 14-9.
- The Seahawks Play The Rams On Monday Night Football – October 28, 2013
- All That Matters: The Seahawks Are 7-1 – October 29, 2013
- Seattle Sports Hell 2013 NFL Power Rankings – Week 8 – October 30, 2013
- Livin’ On A Prayer: The Seahawks Are Halfway There* – October 31, 2013
Week 9 saw the winless Tampa Bay Bucs come into Seattle and rack up a 21-0 lead in the first half before the Seahawks took charge, eventually winning in overtime, 27-24.
- The Seahawks Return Home Triumphant, Prepare To Feast – November 1, 2013
- Seahawks Look Like Crap, Then Look Great, Somehow Come Away With The Win Over The Bucs – November 4, 2013
- Seattle Sports Hell 2013 NFL Power Rankings – Week 9 – November 5, 2013
- Let Russell Wilson Scramble – November 7, 2013
Week 10 saw the Seahawks go back to Atlanta and come away with an easy victory over a Falcons team having an injury-riddled down season, 33-10.
- Seahawks Return To The Scene Of The Crime – November 8, 2013
- Seahawks Handle Their Business Down In Atlanta – November 11, 2013
- Seattle Sports Hell 2013 NFL Power Rankings – Week 10 – November 12, 2013
Week 11 saw the Seahawks face the Vikings at home, winning a laugher, 41-20.
- The Last Game Pre-BYE – November 15, 2013
- The Seahawks Are First To Ten Wins – November 18, 2013
- Seattle Sports Hell 2013 NFL Power Rankings – Week 11 – November 19, 2013
Week 12 saw the Seahawks have their BYE week, the final BYE week on the 2013 NFL schedule.
- How To Fix NFL Playoff Seeding – November 20, 2013
- Is John Moffitt Crazy? – November 21, 2013
- Seattle Sports Hell 2013 NFL Power Rankings – Week 12 – November 26, 2013
Week 13 saw the Seahawks dismantle the New Orleans Saints on Monday Night Football, securing the inside track for the #1 seed in the NFC, 34-7.
- How Will The Loss Of Thurmond & Browner Affect The Seahawks, Really? – November 27, 2013
- The Seahawks Are The Best Team In Football – December 3, 2013
- Seattle Sports Hell 2013 NFL Power Rankings – Week 13 – December 4, 2013
- How Exactly Is Percy Harvin A Bust? – December 5, 2013
Week 14 saw the Seahawks lose a bruiser of a game down in San Francisco, 19-17.
- I Am Absolutely Not Afraid Of The San Francisco 49ers – December 6, 2013
- Seahawks Lost To, Are Still Better Than The 49ers – December 9, 2013
- Seattle Sports Hell 2013 NFL Power Rankings – Week 14 – December 10, 2013
Week 15 saw the Seahawks tear apart Eli Manning and the inferior New York Giants, 23-0.
- Giving The New York Giants The Proper Respect They Deserve – December 13, 2013
- The Seahawks Defense Asserts Its Dominance, Shuts Out Pathetic Giants – December 16, 2013
- Seattle Sports Hell 2013 NFL Power Rankings – Week 15 – December 17, 2013
Week 16 saw the Seahawks blow a chance to lock down the #1 seed and the NFC West by losing a befuddling game at home against the Cardinals, 17-10.
- Let’s Finish This Now, Seahawks – December 20, 2013
- Seahawks Play Like Numb Nuts, Lose At Home – December 23, 2013
- Seattle Sports Hell 2013 NFL Power Rankings – Week 16 – December 24, 2013
Week 17 saw the Seahawks finally lock up both the #1 seed and the NFC West by taking out the Rams at home, 27-9.
- Is There Ever A Good Time To Slump? – December 27, 2013
- The Seahawks Won The NFC West, Earned The #1 Seed – December 30, 2013
- Seattle Sports Hell 2013 NFL Power Rankings – Week 17 – December 31, 2013
On January 3, 2014, Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas were named to the All Pro First Team. Kam Chancellor was named to the All Pro Second Team.
The Wild Card weekend saw the Colts beat the Chiefs, the Saints beat the Eagles, the Chargers beat the Bengals, and the 49ers beat the Packers.
- Wild Card Weekend Preview! Spectacular! Extraordinaire! – January 2, 2014
- Reviewing The Wild Card Weekend – January 6, 2014
The Divisional Round saw the Seahawks cling for dear life and beat the Saints 23-15; as well as the Patriots beat the Colts, the 49ers beat the Panthers, and the Broncos beat the Chargers.
- Is This The End (As We Know It) Of Marshawn Lynch In Seattle? – January 7, 2014
- Concerning The Saints Game This Weekend – January 8, 2014
- Divisional Round Weekend Preview! Spectacular! Extraordinaire! – January 9, 2014
- Can Russell Wilson Be A Little More Like Andrew Luck? – January 10, 2014
- Podcast #2 – Previewing New Orleans at Seattle – January 11, 2014
- Reviewing The Divisional Round Weekend – January 13, 2014
- Things To Take Away From The Seahawks’ Win Over The Saints – January 13, 2014
- How Percy Harvin Affected The Divisional Round Game Against New Orleans – January 14, 2014
- Revisiting My Andrew Luck/Russell Wilson Post – January 14, 2014
The January 20, 2014 issue of Sports Illustrated featured our very own Michael Bennett & Cliff Avril hitting Drew Brees (along with Wes Welker and LeGarrette Blount in alternate covers).
The NFC Championship Game saw a breathtaking back and forth, with the Seahawks coming out ahead in the end, 23-17; in the AFC, the Broncos defeated the Patriots to advance.
- How I Hate The 49ers, Let Me Count The Ways – January 15, 2014
- Why I’m Troubled By The 49ers In The NFC Title Game – January 16, 2014
- Why I Think The Seahawks Will Win The NFC Title Game – January 17, 2014
- I SO HAPPY: Seahawks Beat Up 49ers, Go To Super Bowl – January 19, 2014
- Always Never A Doubt In My Mind – January 20, 2014
The January 27, 2014 issue of Sports Illustrated featured our very own Richard Sherman tipping the ball away from Michael Crabtree in the culminating moment of the NFC Championship that sent the Seahawks to the Super Bowl (Peyton Manning was featured in an alternate cover).
The two-week build-up to Super Bowl XLVIII featured a non-stop barrage of coverage of the Seahawks and the Broncos.
- The Whole Richard Sherman Hullabaloo – January 21, 2014
- Jeffri Chadiha Is A Blithering Moron – January 21, 2014
- Your Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Roster – January 22, 2014
- Who You Need To Watch Out For On The Denver Broncos – January 23, 2014
- What To Expect From Denver’s Offense – January 24, 2014
- Why Is Winning A Championship So Important? – January 27, 2014
- Comparing The 2005 Seahawks To The 2013 Seahawks – January 28, 2014
- Exorcising The Demons Of Our Super Bowl XL Defeat – January 29, 2014
Super Bowl XLVIII saw the Seattle Seahawks come out and dismantle the Denver Broncos 43-8, making the Seahawks Super Bowl Champions for the first time ever.
- How Might The Broncos Defeat The Seahawks In Super Bowl XLVIII? – January 30, 2014
- Why The Seahawks Will Be World Champions – January 31, 2014
- Drunken Podcast #3 – Super Bowl XLVIII Preview – February 1, 2014
- Like One Of Those Fly Dreams: The Seahawks Won The Super Bowl – February 3, 2014
The following are some of my favorite photos from Super Bowl XLVIII and its aftermath.
There was a special edition of Sports Illustrated devoted exclusively to the Seattle Seahawks, released on February 5, 2014.
And the celebration continues well into the offseason. For now, though, I’ll conclude this online scrapbook with my posts through the Championship Parade (#Celebrate48), which took place on February 5, 2014.
- Is This The Beginning Of A Dynasty For The Seattle Seahawks? – February 4, 2014
- The Seahawks Held A Championship Parade Today – February 5, 2014
And, of course, my favorite pictures from the parade itself (taken by professionals).
Finally, the February 10, 2014 issue of Sports Illustrated featured our defensive line attacking Peyton Manning as he threw the football in Super Bowl XLVIII.