I won’t go so far as to say it sucks quite yet, because I still have hope for some better results. Some of that hope resides in Tacoma right now, but I’ll get to that in a minute.
- Game 1 – Tom Wilhelmsen 2 innings of shutout ball; Brandon League 1 inning of shutout ball
- Game 2 – Shawn Kelley .1 innings, 1 earned run, 1 home run; George Sherrill 0 innings, 1 earned run, 1 home run; Steve Delabar 1.1 innings, 1 earned run, 1 home run
- Game 3 – Delabar 1.2 innings of shutout ball; Wilhelmsen 1 inning, 1 earned run; League 1 inning of shutout ball
- Game 4 – Luetge .1 innings of shutout ball; Delabar .1 innings, 1 earned run, 1 home run; Wilhelmsen & League 1 inning of shutout ball each
- Game 5 – Erasmo Ramirez 3 innings, 1 earned run, 1 home run; Delabar .2 innings of shutout ball; Sherrill 1.1 innings, 3 earned runs, 1 home run
- Game 6 – Wilhelmsen 1.2 innings of shutout ball
- Game 7 – Delabar .2 innings, 2 earned runs, 2 home runs; Luetge 1.1 innings of shutout ball; League 1 inning of shutout ball
- Game 8 – Ramirez 1.1 innings, 1 earned run
At the top of the heap, we have League and Wilhelmsen who have combined for 9.2 innings of relief and 1 earned run. Not far behind, there’s a goose egg for Luetge in his 1.2 innings of relief.
AND … there’s everyone else. Kelley only had one game to prove that he “deserved” to be in Tacoma. Sherrill has had two games and has the same ERA (27.00). For all intents and purposes, Delabar isn’t that far behind with his 7.71 ERA over five games, considering he’s given up a whopping 4 home runs! And, in looking at Ramirez, you just have to wonder if he’s ready. I think in retrospect, it was probably a stupid idea to keep him on the Major League roster out of Spring Training. Probably should’ve let him get some more confidence in Tacoma before destroying it with this Texas series. Maybe “destroy” isn’t accurate, but he certainly didn’t do much to help this team in his two appearances except to eat up some innings.
If Delabar still has options, then it is irresponsible to keep him on the Major League roster. He is getting HAMMERED out there, and it’s not just Texas! But, even if it was, a reliever with his stuff shouldn’t be getting shelled like he has. If he absolutely must remain on this team, then he’s the number 1 candidate to take a week or two off if I’ve ever seen one. Give him the ol’ Jeff Gray treatment and bury him in that bullpen and maybe let Iwakuma get his feet wet. He certainly can’t be any WORSE.
If it were up to me, I’d bite the bullet right this second. Replace Delabar with Kelley and replace Ramirez with Furbush. You can’t go around throwing games away this early in the season if you want to generate even one iota of fan interest.
Thus far, the bullpen has helped in costing us today’s game (Ramirez gave up the fourth Vargas run as well as his own), and the second Japan game. The bullpen (or at least parts of it) has been monstrously bad in three others whose outcomes they didn’t affect. It’s time to nip this right now, before things get too out of hand.
And I’ll tell you this for free, if Sherrill keeps getting pounded the way he has, then they better cut his over-the-hill ass asap! I’m tired of watching his bullshit get turned around for moon-shots!