It’s actually pretty rare when we run across a Super Bowl matchup that I’m interested in. This one on Sunday will be the 54th such game in NFL history; the 39th such game since I was born, and probably the 32nd since I became a fan of football. Of those 32, three have involved the Seahawks (which means I was VERY interested); the rest of the games have been spotty at best.
Last year, for instance, was a no-win situation for me. I can’t root for the Rams, because they’re in the same division as the Seahawks. But, how could I possibly root for New England after they’ve won literally every Super Bowl that’s ever taken place?!
This year, I think we’re in for a treat. The 49ers are involved, which gives me a reason to root for the AFC squad. The Chiefs haven’t been in the game in 50 years and are otherwise inoffensive to my delicate sensibilities, so here we go! Saddle up! I get to be a Chiefs fan for an afternoon!
The Chiefs are favored by 1 point. I would assume there’s plenty of action on both sides, but my guess is that a lot of the fairweather fans are putting their money on Mahomes & Co. If I were in Vegas, that’s certainly where I’d go, and I’m as fairweather as they get! When my dad and brother gather around the television set with me on Sunday, we’re going to make a lot of little bets – on the game and various props – and I’ve already made my intentions known that I want to root for the Chiefs, so that’s where I’m putting my money.
But, is it the smart thing to do?
I mean, isn’t this the exact opposite argument we were all making when the Seahawks were going up against the Denver Broncos and their all-time great offense? When push comes to shove, an elite defense will almost always trump an elite offense (especially when they have 2 weeks to prepare), so you have to figure the smart money is on the 49ers!
I feel like I’m heading into a situation where I might as well just set my money on fire. And, yeah, I know, we’re talking about maybe $5 on the game, and a lot of little $1 bets on other shit; I’m not going to lose the Taylor Family Farm on this thing (especially since I’ll be betting with other Taylors, so really, there’s no way to lose our stranglehold on this thing). But, it’s the thought of watching a coronation of the 49ers for 4+ hours that just sickens me to my very core. Kittle can suck it, Jimmy G can suck it, their bald defensive coordinator can suck it, Richard Sherman can suck it. They can ALLLLLLLL suck it as far as I’m concerned! That fullback whose name I absolutely refuse to learn how to spell … you get the idea.
Deebo Samuel is cool, though. Really, anyone named Deebo (the name of my future first born) is all right in my book.
Wait a minute. Deebo Samuel was born in January of 1996. The movie Friday came out in April of 1995. (*counts on fingers*) THAT’S NINE MONTHS LATER!
Oh, wait a minute, Deebo is just a nickname. Yeah, that makes more sense. Still, Deebo Rockwell Taylor has a pretty good ring to it.
What was I talking about? Oh yeah, how can the Chiefs beat the 49ers?
Well, it’s gotta be on Mahomes. He needs to keep up this run of excellence he’s been on since the playoffs started. Which leads me to some of my favorite prop bets.
- The over/under is 54.5; give me the over.
- Will Mahomes throw an INT; I say yes.
- Will either team score in the first 6:30; I say yes.
- Will either team score in the final 3:30 of regulation; I say yes.
- What will happen first, a 49ers score or punt; I say score.
- What will happen first, a Chiefs score or punt; I say punt.
- Total yardage of all TDs in the game, over/under 102.5; I say over.
- Points by both teams in the highest-scoring quarter, over/under 21; I say over.
- Will the opening kickoff be a touchback? Yes.
- First offensive play; Run.
- First team to score; 49ers.
- First team to 10 points; 49ers.
- First team to 20 points; Chiefs.
- Will the team who scores first win the game? No.
- What will happen first: sack or TD? Sack.
- Total sacks by both teams: Over 5.5.
- First team to punt: Chiefs.
- Will there be a scoreless quarter? No.
- Largest lead, over/under 16.5 points; Under.
- Will the game ever be tied again after 0-0? Yes.
- Will either team score 3 unanswered times? Yes.
- Longest TD, over/under 44.5 yards; Over.
- Shortest TD, over/under 1.5 yards; Over.
- Longest FG, over/under 47.5 yards; Under.
- Shortest FG, over/under 26.5 yards; Over.
- Which team will score the longest FG? 49ers.
- Total number of players with a passing attempt, over/under 2.5; Over.
- Will the game end on a QB kneeldown? Yes.
- Will the last team to score win the game? Yes.
If the game goes the way I want it to go; the 49ers will get off to a hot start, and the Chiefs will roar back like they’ve done the last two weeks. They can’t make the total points high enough, I think this game goes WAY over 54.5 for the game. Ultimately, I think the Chiefs score last to take the lead, and their defense finds a way to shut the 49ers down with enough time for Mahomes to kneeldown to run out the clock.
The worst-case scenario is the 49ers dominate throughout – because the Chiefs have a mediocre defense – and Mahomes is harassed all day with numerous sacks and turnovers. Even in this situation, the game could still go over 54.5, but it would be a blowout and no one will enjoy themselves, because the commercials are always overrated, the musical performances stink, and everyone’s going to spend their time re-watching the new Christopher Nolan trailer that will surely be released at some point during the game.